The Big DC Trip Part 2 – First Powerline Infusion and Dr. Visit

Once Dave and I were all done with the hospital trip and I got discharged, we went to a little deli just down the street and grabbed a quick bite to eat. Thank goodness everything is a very short walking distance from the hospital, our hotel, and the clinic.

When we got to the clinic, we didn’t have to wait long and I met with their infusion nurse. I hadn’t met her before, but she seemed really nice so I was relieved as I will be seeing her every month when I start new antibiotics, to make sure there is no weird reactions. I got a little depressed, as I had my weigh in and have gained another 7 pounds since my weigh in during my May visit….. making for a total of a 24 pound weight gain since April. Moo ma Moo Moo Moo… oink oink.

I know I am still in between the high and low BMI for my height… but can you imagine 24 pounds of deli meat just sitting on the counter? That’s what I have gained in the past 3 1/2 months. Hoping by the end of this I don’t end up blowing up like a friggin balloon. Kind of felt a little fat bastard-ish once that ordeal was said and done.


She took a look at my new line as she wanted to do another dressing change, and apparently the Doctor who put my line in missed their notes about not doing stitches around my line.

When people have stitches around their line, it is okay, but not really meant for long term. People with long term IVs have something called a stat lock to hold the line in place. You have to have something to keep the line in place so it prevents the line from moving or pulling out. She had her work cut out for her, as the Doctor went a little crazy with the stitches as there were way more than a “normal” amount, and were wrapped all around my line. She had to be extremely careful, as she was afraid she was going to cut my line, which would result in another hospital visit, so she called in for backup and finally, we were ready to rock and roll.

I noticed on my neck once the bandages came off, the Doctor must have cauterized my neck before the collar bone but it looked pretty gross as there was a big wound. It looked like he burnt me with a cigar… while wrapping my stitches all around. Dave thought it would be funny to keep saying “oh my god look over there!” so I would turn my head so my neck would hurt like a bitch or make me crack up laughing as that made my neck even more sore. After the neck abuse I am surprised it didn’t uncauterize my neck and make it squirt blood all over the place. What a dink he can be hahaha

Here I am trying to be super sexy with my mask on, my neck wound, and an unbandaged line. Yum. For some reason, Dave STILL finds me attractive. Love is blind I suppose… or he is 😉


After the stitching ordeal was over, she explained the IVs, and how to do them. Being a veteran with the process, this seemed a lot easier as there isn’t really any mixing with multiple needles and syringes (I felt like an expert chemist by the end of my rocephin) , holding onto syringes and pushing them over 30 minutes. This is an easy pop open powder antibiotic that is attached to a saline bag, make sure there isn’t any chunks, hook to a bigger line, prime it to make sure there is no air or bubbles. You then flush your line with a syringe of saline and hook yourself up. I think I am happiest with this because it is hands free. If you let go of my previous IVs, blood would come up the line. No bueno. So now stalking people on Facebook, playing stupid games on my iPad, googling random stuff… the possibilities are endless! 🙂 When the drip is done, another saline and a heparin flush.

I got my first dosage of IV antibiotics there and got to do some of it on my own. The antibiotic was meropenum . I noticed during the infusion, I started to get sleepy. VERY VERY sleepy. We will see how this plays out. My first IV’s. Note how their line isn’t nearly as pretty as mine is 😛


Once again, Dave, quit making me laugh!!!!! I think it was because they put my line straight down so a lot of people got to see my boob yesterday. :-0


I got to meet THE doctor of the clinic, Dr. J, once I was done my IVs and he went over what he planned to do this month for an antibiotic schedule. I got a laugh, as I definately scared the bejesus out of him when I had one of my yelling tics.  Fortunately, this month, he didn’t give me a ton of stuff. My IVs are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and then in between I either flush my line with saline and heparin or use what is called a lactaid ringer. A lactaid ringer helps with electrolytes, hydration, and really helps with the detox process, which is so important with Lyme disease. This week and next week will be the same, then I will be adding Septra, and then Tindamax. Then they do what is called a “holiday”, which is a break from antibiotics. I will fly back to DC on this week and start with a new month. Next month, I was already told I was going to start a Babesia treatment, which I have never been treated for so I will have to see how it goes!

Our flight was actually changed over to an earlier direct flight and he got home several hours earlier than anticipated. Perfect! Below is my goodies that I brought on my carry on bag.


Today I don’t seem to feel any different than the “norm”, but my massage therapist noticed that my legs were a lot more tense than usual and my feet had some inflammation to them but other than that, the same old issues, generally circulation.  I am definitely exhausted but I need to put in consideration I just had 2 flights, a surgery, and a Doctors appointment within 24 hours. After a few doses I will have to see if I notice if I feel better or worse. Might take awhile to do its thing. Tomorrow will be my first at home infusion. A major bonus I can say is it feels good to know what I am doing, and not be scared this time around 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s