Everyone with Lyme disease, especially in more severe cases should really consider the possibility of having mercury toxicity. Mercury toxicity in your body is a BIG problem. Why would there be mercury toxicity in your body, and what are some of the options to help aid in releasing this toxic metal? After doing research, it seemed to be a question of what came first, the chicken or the egg?
I wondered when I was told I had mercury toxicity, how I got it. I never ate a thermometer or anything as a child, so what gives? Turns out, all people are exposed to mercury throughout their lifetime. Mercury is part of our environment, and some areas have more mercury than others. Mercury is in the air, our water, our food. We come in direct contact with this toxic metal every day, such as fluorescent lights, electronic instruments, fillings, and thimerosal containing vaccinations, such as your FLU SHOT. What? Crazy huh? One of the reasons why I have personally never had any vaccines that are not required to take. I am not arguing if you have chosen to do so, but I am a conspiracist, and don’t believe everything I hear from the medical industry or our government telling us something is “beneficial”. Don’t you dare try to take me away, Uncle Sam, or I will Lyme rage your ass.
A note about fillings, “silver” dental fillings are actually made up of 50% mercury. Having this type of filling, is like cracking a mercury containing thermometer and placing it in your mouth, according to one source. And it is estimated that 85% of people that have fillings were given this type of filling. If you are not sure, a dentist can easily be able to tell if there is mercury in your fillings by x-ray. Either way, yikes!
Mercury is a highly toxic substance, that comes in three forms, methyl mercury, elemental, and inorganic compounds. All can cause an array of symptoms such as tremors, headaches, cognitive disfunction, muscle weakness, vision impairment, and damage to your organs. A lot of these symptoms are symptoms of Lyme, so there can definitely be some confusion here. It is actually the most common toxicity among everyone, Lyme riddled or not, and most are completely unaware of it!
Since everyone is exposed to mercury in one way, shape, or form, it is not necessarily that you have been exposed to mercury more than others, it is how your body eliminates toxins from your body. As I have shared before, another common genetic abnormality among Lymies is MTHFR, making it much harder to detoxify and eliminate toxins, such as mercury from your body.
Some other reasons mercury toxicity is common among Lyme patients, are that mercury compromises the immune system. People with weakened immune systems tend to have the worse symptoms of Lyme. But, Lyme also weakens the bodies way to detoxify poisons. So… did the mercury toxicity come first, or did the Lyme come first? The mercury, allowing the spirochetes to thrive and spread, or the Lyme, weakening the body and not allowing the detoxification process. The chicken or the egg….
An interesting possibility of Lyme and mercury toxicity is part of the Lyme bacteria’s survival mechanisms. Lyme accumulates and hides mercury in your body. It is even thought that Lyme stores and uses mercury in the body as a “safe habitat”. Research shows that the Lyme bacteria holds on to mercury within the body since mercury is an immunosuppressant. The spirochete grabs little amounts of mercury within the body and eventually grabs on to even more, and more. Sometimes mercury is even stored IN a spirochete. Damn you smart bacteria, Lyme. Always thinking of good ideas so we can’t kill you.
Either way, there is no real reason for knowing which came first, but at least this gives some information as to why mercury toxicity and Lyme can go hand in hand.
So, how do you know if you have mercury toxicity? Well, there are many tests you can take, whether it is urine, hair testing, blood, or stool, and they can even give you the amounts in your system. For me personally, I did a urine test that involved taking high doses of a pill that would adhere to metals in your body over the course of a few days, and every time I went pee, I put it in a jug, that I had to keep in the fridge. Ice tea anyone? Only kidding, folks. Gross. After this was done I had to shake the jug to stir it up a little, take a sample and then mailed in the test via FedEx. After about two weeks, I got my results. I would recommend this test because it tested for all sorts of metal deficiencies and toxicities.
You get whatever test back you choose to do and hear you have mercury toxicity. A good way to get rid of the mercury in your body is what is called a chelation process. Chelators are substances that bind to mercury and you eventually expel them from your body. Another thing is to be aware of your surroundings and what you are eating.
A warning however, when doing a chelation process, you are releasing the mercury, and the Lyme loses it’s “home” and is moving around again, which can cause a worsening of Lyme symptoms.
Good options for chelators are DMSA (dimercaptosuccinic acid), DMPS (dimercaptopropane-l-sufonic acid), and ALA (alpha lipoic acid). DMPS and DMSA are water soluble, while ALA is fat soluble, so one of each should be used. This process can be tricky, so definitely ask your doctor about what the best process is for you, as trying at home can do more harm than good. Once again, talk to your doctor.
I hope this information was helpful! Dr S is a true believer in testing everything, to see how the immune system is working and if something else is going on, especially in my case due to the severity of my symptoms. Turns out, he was spot on. This would be a great topic to ask your doctor about next time you see him or her. It could definitely help you in the healing process.
Have a great day!
http://www.chroniclymedisease.com/mercury-and-lyme-disease,lymediseaseresource.com/wordpress/chronic-lymedisease-or-mercury-poisoning/, http://www.medicine.net,lymecommunity.com, The Top Ten Lyme Disease Treatments, Bryan Rosner,mdjunction.com , http://www.michigan.gov