I completed the Lyme Disease Challenge and posted to my Facebook wall (it seems to be getting shared all around, yay for spreading awareness and people loving and finding me awesome of course lol) , so I figured I would include this in my blog to share with everyone.
As you all know, I have been struggling with chronic Lyme disease and several other tick-borne infections for over 2 1/2 years now. Many of you have been following my story on www.kimmiecakeskickslyme.wordpress.comand my goal isn’t just to share my story but to also bring awareness to this disease and how debilitating physically, mentally, and financially it can be.
Some facts I would like to share with you are:
– 50% of patients tested for Lyme disease receive false negatives in their testing, and the CDC only tests for a single strain, yet there are 300 strains of this disease worldwide.
– fewer than 50% of patients get a bulls eye rash, as well as 50% of people do not recall getting bit at all.
-Lyme mimics other diseases such as MS, Fibromyalgia, ALS, and CFS
– Lyme disease can be transmitted during pregnancy, and studies are now being done that Lyme may also be sexually transmitted.
– Lyme disease annual incidences are now 1.5 times more than estimated numbers of breast cancer.
– there are 2 methods of treatment for Lyme disease. The CDC believes it can be cured within 30 days (I wish!) and ILADS believes a much longer course of treatment is needed.
Now… I challenge you to take a bite out of a lime (you can add some tequila if you want, no judgements 😉 ), and share a fact or two to raise awareness. (I might have gone a little crazy with the facts 🙂 )Some may be found atlymedisease.org
I also encourage you to donate to ILADS, to help with much needed funds for research, improved diagnosis, and treatment of Lyme disease, and also share if you did donate! P.S. It’s tax deductible 🙂
Here is more information Lymediseasechallenge.org
I nominate : (l tagged a boat load of people… hopefully they will participate!) and of course anyone else that would like to join the cause!